Monday, March 24, 2014

Winged ONes

The design process is well underway for the tramp art frame, Winged Ones.  All proceeds from the auction of this tramp art piece will be donated to Birdsacre: Stanwood Wildlife Sanctuary.  Birdsacre is one of my family's favorite local treasures that suffered a devastating fire recently and has many years and dollars of recovery to go.  We have many amazing family memories on those wooden boardwalks and really want to help in anyway we can! Please check out their web page ( http://www.birdsacre.com/index.html) to find out all of the amazing work they do for our "Winged Ones".

I've come up with a design, a frame base  and a basic plan for the piece.  I am shooting for a piece that portrays the local owls nestled in the deep Maine forest, and combines several different tramp art techniques that I use throughout my pieces.  A dark, deep Maine forest, with chunky leaves and toadstools, and a sprig of flowers or ferns popping up from the corner while being watched over by curious owlets.  With warm, rich color and a pop of red or yellow here and there.  All antiqued and glazed for that much loved look.  I'm creating this piece to be a mirror but it will also be able to be used as a picture frame if so desired. 
 



Here I took an outline of the frame so that I could make pattern pieces that will be mounted directly on the frame base.  These will be the base layer of each element.  From these pieces I will figure out which pieces will be the deeper tramp art pieces and which will be the more detailed pieces like the owls. 



This is my first shot of the look and design of the piece.  Leaning towards more rustic cut pieces with painted details and maybe even some wood burning detail. 

  

Now off to pick out colors,, sure up the base frame and finish making the pattern pieces.  Hmmm...what kind of wood to use???  Old crate wood, poplar, oak....lets see what's hiding in the basement!   Can I work in some decorative nails or tacks??  So many possibilities!

Happy Tramping,
Angie



No comments:

Post a Comment