Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Completion of Forever & ALways: Birch Bark is amazing!

After poking at this one for many weeks, Forever & Always is finally complete!  This was my first shot at working with birch bark and I have to say it's amazing.  The Native Americans knew what they were doing when they used birch bark to create their durable and beautiful homes, canoes and crafts.  After cleaning and drying the many pieces of birch bark I have gathered over the last couple of years, I started measuring and cutting to fit the frame.  And what a discovery!!  Birch bark is pliable, colorful, warm in color and absolutely beautiful.  Just what I needed for this frame.

My challenge was to create a warm, cozy and full of love frame to display an amazing engagement photo.  The photo captures all of the love, warmth and hope of young love.  I wanted to use a soft palette of colors that can be found in our local Maine birch bark.  Soft oranges, light greens, and browns!

I created a sturdy wide pine frame, created the patterns and wood pieces. With a lot of notching here, and a lot of painting and sanding there.  Some nails and glue. A piece tweaked here and there....  

 
 



Finished!  I'm thrilled with how it turned out.  Soft, warm, and romantic!  A little lace around the edge, warm colors, antiquing, copper tacks, and hearts of course! 

Thank you to Sarah and Ryan for allowing me to use your picture of your special day on my blog! 

My girls have decided that this frame is their favorite so far.  I too love the combination of Adirondack style with tramp art and will definitely be make more in the near future!

Happy Tramping,
Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment