Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Stars and Stripes Tramp Art Frame: Completion

This frame turned out amazing!  Very rich colors, deep tramp art layers, accurate cuts and a fine tuned tramp art frame .  I am very happy with the completed piece and it's patriotic feel.

Now where did I leave off with the blogging? 

After creating the square pine frame base and shaping the corners to the star shape that I needed, I created each individual pattern piece for each layer.  Each piece was transferred to the wood, cut out, sanded and chipped carved.  All 168 pieces!  I had sore fingers after this one.


Before chip carving. Kind of daunting!


















Here is a picture of  the fitting I did after notching them.  There were only a couple of pieces that I needed to recreate and tweak.


 










 



9 piece star stack






The pieces were then sorted into ziplock bags according to the colors that they were to be painted. 






Lots of painting and sanding ensued, and it's final assembly got underway.  The pieces fit together very nicely and accurately, and resulted in a fine tuned tramp art frame.  But it was lacking something...it needed a pop.  I created an hand carved star for each side and applied gold leaf to each.  That was the pop it needed!
 



 



























The mirror is ordered, varnish applied and the backing created. So happy with the end results!

Happy Tramping,
Angie


No comments:

Post a Comment