Monday, May 5, 2014

Completion of Birdsacre FRame

This tramp art frame was finished while enjoying spring break, yard work and the start of the softball season.  After a tweak here, a little more sanding there, and many coats of varnish later, the Birdsacre: Winged Ones tramp art mirror is complete.  This mirror has been donated to the Birdsacre fire recovery fund and will be a part of the facilities' raffle on August 2nd, 2014  to celebrate their annual Cordie Day.   So happy we could help!  Please go to their website at http://www.birdsacre.com/ to read about all of the wonderful work this facility does and help them in any way you can.  It's for the owls!

After creating the pattern pieces for each piece and layer, I transferred and cut out each one.  Here is a piece check I did before picking out my palette.  Some thicker pieces with some thinner wood for the detail pieces.



 
 
With this piece, I chose to leave some pieces un-notched hoping to give those elements some pop.  After a few changes here and there, I was very happy with the whimsical elements of this piece and how close it matched my original design.  After considering several different color options, I decided to make the tree elements a brown that gradually gets lighter towards the top with a darker background to help give the piece more depth and achieve the "dusk in the forest" look.  The owls were painted my favorite orange and the toadstools an antique red.  I gave some elements that glow or sparkle with metallic paints and light antiquing, and did tryout my woodburner on the toadstools.  Here is a picture of the final piece.
 

Birdsacre: Winged Ones Tramp Art Frame/Mirror

 
 

 
Sleeping Owl detail
 


Moon and Owls detail

I hope this piece finds a good home and helps make the fire recovery at Birdsacre a little easier.
 
Happy Tramping, 
Angie
 

No comments:

Post a Comment