Saturday, November 23, 2013

EmbellishmenTS

The key to my heart II frame is well underway with  the wood chipping complete and the embellishments chosen.

For this piece, I chose to use heart pieces cut from old cigar boxes for the final key hole layer.  The old cigar box pieces are really hard to work with considering that they are made of something similar to layers of paper, but the old graphics are amazing.  Very colorful and vintage...hard to reproduce so the real thing is called for!  

I have also picked out 6 vintage skeleton keys to be anchored to the frame when it is complete.  These keys were given to me by my step dad and just have amazing colors, shapes and patinas.

 
 
I chose to use oak pieces for the very bottom layer, to strengthen the piece.  Chipping oak is not my favorite (hard and splinters easy), but will provide the strength this piece needs for the layers that over hang the pine frame base.  After cutting my finger two times trying to chip the tiny round hard wood pieces that finish off the triangles, I used my dremel to carve notches in these tiny terrors.   Small hardwood pieces + wood chipping knife = cut fingers!  Why did I not think of that before?? Live and Learn.
 
The chipped pieces have been laid out in their final places and separated into bags according to the colors they will be painted.
 



Colors have been chosen:  light teal, antique red, ivory and maybe some dark burnt umber.  Maybe a touch of burnt orange too....definitely some hand painted decorative elements to come!

Happy Tramping    Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment