Thursday, May 30, 2013

My Tramp Art EVolution

After a couple of inquiries, I just wanted to show a brief glimpse at how my tramp art creations and style have evolved over the years.  It was really fun to dig up some old pictures of earlier pieces.  It’s amazing how a few years of experience and growth can transform things.
 
My wood working started with trying to create a basic frame that would complement my fraktur paintings I was creating.  With no directions, a miter saw and a determination to  create something that that had that rustic feel,  I started creating very basic primitive frames.

Here are two early examples of my frakturs in frames.  The yellow tramp art frame was my first attempt at tramp art.  Not bad!
 

 


 

After getting more confidence and more comfortable with wood chipping knives, I experimented with different shapes, colors and types of wood.    I discovered decorative tacks and nails, and enjoyed sharing my creations with many collectors far and near.  I was honored to be featured in the book “Tramp Art: Another Notch, Folk Art from the Heart” by Clifford Wallach and am proud to say he is the owner of two of my pieces.
 
 
 

 
Just recently, I have started to solely concentrate on the design and creation of the frames.  I have found that this has allowed me to fine tune the designs and spend more time on material and embellishment selection.  I can see how this change has changed my end product more than anything.  More variety in design and color, better quality completed pieces, and a much more relaxed end product. 
 
 
 
 



 I have created other pieces outside of picture frames, but continue to call picture frames some of my favorite and best creations.  My pieces continue to change and evolve, becoming bolder and more complicated.
 
 

 
 

 
 


 

It continues to be exciting for me to find that amazing chippy spindle, rusty spigot and that next amazing design.  
 Happy Upcycling!      Angie

 

No comments:

Post a Comment