Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Winter Star Challenge: Finishing TOuches

The winter star tramp art frame came together nicely with a few bumps along the way.  The old panel I wanted to use for the individual tramp art pieces proved to be too fragile. Wanting to use a strong wood that could be used for tiny pieces, I chose to use Baltic birch plywood.  This proved to be a good choice.

Trying to keep my lines, cuts and chipping as accurate as possible, I still managed to get a set of pieces placed crooked!  And a bottom piece at that!  This is where the strong Baltic birch came in handy:  I had to remove a whole point of the star, separate all of the layers and re cut the very bottom piece.  It was off very slightly but made all of the difference in the balance.



This little detour also proved to be a handy lesson in restoration and I'm sure it will come in handy in the future.  Delicate work takes lots of patience and a gentle touch!

After reworking the removed pieces, I installed a base on the back of the frame to provide strength to the face of the piece. I installed a painted back to the frame with some vintage hardware and antiqued the entire piece.

I'm pretty happy with the finished product.  Silvery blue like a snowflake with a pop of red, very tall and tight (9-12 layers), and the back looks almost as wonderful as the front.

 
 


Vintage battered hinges and latch, with hand painted embellishments.



Downeast Tramp Hallmark!

Please let me know what you think of my latest creation.  This piece has been listed on an ebay auction until Sunday.  It's on my wall to enjoy until a great home is found!

Happy Tramping
Angie



No comments:

Post a Comment