Friday, January 24, 2014

Winter Star CHallenge

My next project, Winter Star Tramp Art frame, will be a challenge!  This piece will be an 8 pointed star tramp art frame, that has many thin, precise layers (up to 12), and will be painted in a old bucket blue with maybe metallic gold highlighting.

In order to get the piece I am striving for, there are several attributes I'm trying to include in this piece.

I am hoping to use only up-cycled materials to create this piece.  I have found a old picture frame backing that I think will serve this purpose well.  Lots of nail holes and wear!  I'm just hoping that it doesn't prove to be too fragile to use.  We'll see once I start cutting out the pattern pieces.  This panel is also very thin and I think it will help give me the depth and the large number of layers (up to 13) that I need.

For this piece, I am also paying closer attention to accuracy and placement of layers.  I'm hoping to build the layers in smaller increments and more accurately to get that tight and symmetric look that I am going for.  I've tried to be more accurate in the making of my pattern pieces and hope for precisely cut tramp art pieces.  We'll see about that!

I've designed and cut my base frame into the star shape that I want and have cut out the corresponding pattern pieces for each layer.

 
 
Once the pieces are transferred to the wood panel and cut out,  Each piece will be notched using a smaller chipping knife to give more compact pieces and taller design.
 
I'm looking forward to many episodes of Dexter and Antique Roadshow as I chip away at the 90 or so wood pieces.  I refuse to go out in these frigid temperatures if I don't have to.  HIBERNATION IS SETTING IN!
 
Happy Tramping
 
Angie


No comments:

Post a Comment