Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Owl INspirations

My next challenge is to create an owl picture frame for one of my family members.  The real challenge for me is to keep it simple, kinda chunky, and more rustic than some of my latest pieces.  Keeping it simple and not over thinking it will be the hardest part for me. I've created a quick drawing, found a base frame, disassembled an old crate and come up with a basic design.





I'm excited to create this piece because I know it will be treasured by a fellow owl lover. Owls have always held a special place in my heart.   Starting from way back, they have always sporadically popped up in my life.  Always providing that feeling of being watched over ...taken care of.  They have always provided direction for me when I needed it. Strange, I know!

I can remember back in the 1970's when I was like 8ish, my favorite outfit was a matching owl shirt and green bell bottom pants.  I loved it and I think I wore it just about every day my mom would let me.  I pretty sure that back then, most of my school clothes came from the Sears and Roebuck catalog, but boy did I stand tall when I wore my owl outfit!

When I was 11, I painted this owl sponge painting  which went on to win a local contest and traveled all around the state of Maine for 2 years. I was so proud of my masterpiece and still have it today.  I truly believe this owl fueled my love of painting!



Owls have also played a big part in my journey in creating tramp art frames.  Here are a couple I have created along the way.





To this day, I still enjoy my strolls around the Stanwood Wildlife Sanctuary, admiring the birds and owls that have been brought there to heal.  I especially enjoy the feeling of awe, peace and security they still give me when I've had one of those days or weeks when only the wise old owl can get me back on tract.

I know that owls will continue to help me along my life path and that is comforting.  Here's to hoping that my old crate owl picture frame will inspire others to love and appreciate these amazing creatures also.

Happy Tramping

Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment